This recipe appears in:Watermelon, Lychee, Feta, and Basil Salad with Spicy Lemongrass Vinaigrette
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 small shallot, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon
- 1 jalapeño, serrano, or thai bird chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, bottom 4 inches only, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts diced watermelon (about 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 pound lychees or rambutans, peeled and flesh torn into rough chunks (about 1 1/2 cups lychee pieces)
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped basil leaves
Combine shallot, chili, lemongrass, honey, soy sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle olive oil into bowl while whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Combine watermelon, lychees, feta, and basil in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Season to taste with more salt as desired. Serve immediately.