- 2 pounds chicken wings or drumsticks, roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, broken up into small pieces
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground Sichuan peppercorn (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chili oil (to taste)
The night before, toss the chicken with the salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl or container. Cover the bowl and refrigerate chicken overnight or up to 2 days.
When ready to steam, combine the salted chicken pieces with the dried mushrooms and the slices of ginger in a bowl that will fit inside your steamer. Pour in the rice wine.
Steam over high heat until the chicken pieces are just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add scallions, Sichuan peppercorn, and chili oil (if desired). Season to taste with more salt (if necesssary). Serve hot. Leftovers may be reheated in the steamer.