Notes: To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 cup strawberries, destemmed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh squeezed juice from about 8 lemons
- 1/2 cup simple syrup (see note above)
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 lemon, washed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
Purée the strawberries with about 2 ounces of the lemon juice in a blender on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain the purée through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher or large mason jar.
Add the remaining lemon juice, simple syrup, water, lemon slices and basil leaves. Gently stir until incorporated. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.