Dense cream cheese holds its shape and creates lovely little pockets of warm, oozing cheese throughout the cooked pancakes.
- Replace the cream cheese with ricotta cheese. The ricotta melts a little more into the pancakes but still creates small pockets of cheese.
- Add fresh fruit. Along with the cheese, sprinkle some blueberries onto the pancakes as they cook or serve with fresh strawberries or other berries.
- Use almond milk. Even if you aren't dairy-free, almond milk adds a pleasant flavor to the finished pancakes.
- Use dairy-free cream cheese. If you are dairy-free, replace the cream cheese with dairy-free cream cheese.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Gluten-Free Cream Cheese Pancakes
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Gluten-Free Tuesday: Cream Cheese Pancakes|
- 1 cup (4 ounces) white rice flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup (1.75 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (for dairy-free, replace with dairy-free milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 teaspoon size pieces OR 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
In a medium bowl, whisk together white rice flour, cornstarch, sweet rice flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and xathan gum. Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
Lightly oil a flat griddle pan. Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup, onto griddle. Batter should "sizzle" when it hits the pan. Dot the surface of each pancake with a few pieces of cheese or small 1/2 teaspoon dots of ricotta.
Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancake and begin to pop. The pancake should begin to look almost dry. Flip and cook another 1-1 1/2 minutes.