Looking for more lemonade variations? Check out these 12 delicious summer sippers.
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into rough chunks
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 4 inches only, roughly chopped
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh juice from 10 to 12 lemons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 quart ice
- Cucumber slices and basil leaves for garnish
Combine cucumbers, lemongrass, basil, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. Discard solids. Add cold water and whisk to combine. Add ice. Serve in ice-filled glasses garnished with cucumber slices and basil leaves.