- Yield:makes one 8- by 8-inch cake
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tart apples, peeled; 1 grated, the other chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°. Rub the inside of an 8- by 8-inch baking pan with butter, then coat with 1 tablespoon flour, tipping out and discarding excess. In a small saucepan combine raisins and rum, place over medium low heat until raisins are plump, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl combine remaining 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda and whisk to combine. Toss both apples in flour mixture and reserve.
In a separate bowl combine oil, sugar, and eggs and mix until combined. Add plumped raisins then fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until evenly incorporated. Transfer to prepared baking pan and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve warm with soft butter.