- Recipe may be prepared 3 days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container./li>
- Recipe yields 1 1/2 cups salad; it can easily be doubled.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes 1 1/2 cups salad or 6 small sandwiches
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- For the Deviled Ham Salad:
- 8 ounces smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced sweet gherkins, drained, plus 2 teaspoons liquid
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- For the Assembly
- 6 small (3 to 3 1/2 inches) bread rolls, such as brioche or Hawaiian
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed watercress leaves
For the Deviled Ham Salad: Pulse ham, mayonnaise, mustard, honey, Worcestershire, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cloves, and cayenne in food processor until a coarse paste forms, 6 to 8 pulses. Scrape sides and bottom of food processor with rubber spatula and pulse for 1 second. Transfer to medium bowl. Stir gherkins and onion into ham salad.
For the Assembly: Slice bread rolls in half and spread with cut sides with butter. Distribute watercress evenly among the bottom half of rolls. Top watercress with 1/4 cup ham salad. Serve.