About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Note: Wear gloves when working with habanero chilis and carefully scrub down all cutting surfaces and knives before handling other food. Do not touch your eyes or noes while working with habañeros.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Mango Habanero Barbecue Sauce
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes about 3 cups|
|Active time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|This recipe appears in:||Sauced: Mango Habanero Barbecue Sauce|
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped peeled fresh mango, about 2 medium magnos
- 1 cup mango juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from about 2 limes
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped habanero chiles, seeded (about 2 chilis, see note above)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in mangoes, mango juice, tomato sauce, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, molasses, lime juice, Worcestershire, mustard, habanero, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until mangos have completely softened and sauce has slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Puree sauce with an immersion blender, or in the jar of a regular blender, until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to a month.