The key to perfectly cooked sausages on the grill is to start them in a moist bath of flavorful toppings, slow-cooking them to infuse them with flavor and get an even cook, then finish them off over the hot side to crisp and char them.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons (8g) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15g) chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled whole tomatoes, drained, broken up by hand into rough chunks
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
- 1/4 cup (7g) chopped cilantro, plus more for serving if desired
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (900g) fresh raw Mexican chorizo sausages
- Lime wedges and warmed corn tortillas, for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, capers, olives, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Light 1 chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.
Transfer tomato mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. (Alternatively, construct a tray out of a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, 10 inches square, with sides about 2 inches high.) Nestle sausages into mixture.
Place tray on hot side of grill and cook until simmering, about 4 minutes. Slide to cooler side of grill. Cover grill, with vents over sausages. Cook with all vents open until sausages register 140 to 145°F (60 to 63°C) on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
Remove lid. Using tongs, remove sausages from sauce and place directly on cooking grate over hot side of grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until well browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total. Return to sauce. Serve immediately, garnishing with extra cilantro, lime wedges, and tortillas as desired.