Crispy, cakey, chocolaty, coconuty, pop-in-your-mouth doughnuts that are super easy to make? What's not to love?
- Sour cream may be substituted for the yogurt.
- The bottom of a pastry tip works well to stamp out donut holes from dough. Use a floured toothpick to push dough out.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Easy Artisan Bread. You can also watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. She presently lives in Singapore as a freelance writer for Time Out Singapore. Check out her blog: shophousecook.com and follow Yvonne on Twitter.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes about 3 1/2 dozen
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:2 hours
- For the Donuts:
- 1 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (about 7 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 2 cups (8 ounces) confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the Chocolate glaze:
- 1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut, lightly toasted
Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into large bowl; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, and butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture along with chopped chocolate until completely combined. Chill in refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
On floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick. Stamp out donut holes with well floured 1 1/4-inch round cutter and place on lightly floured plate or pan. Re-roll scraps as necessary. Refrigerate dough pieces while heating oil.
In large 6 to 8 quart heavy duty pot, heat oil over medium heat to 375°F. Remove dough pieces from fridge and using slotted spoon, carefully drop 1/2 of the donut holes into oil.
Fry donuts for about 2 minutes, gently stirring and flipping donuts to make sure they fry evenly and adjusting heat as necessary to keep temperature at 375°F. Using slotted spoon, remove donuts and place on paper towel lined plate. Repeat with second batch.
Let donuts cool. Prepare choice of glaze by whisking together glaze ingredients. Dip donuts and place on wire rack that's been set over baking sheet. If desired, roll in coconut about 10 minutes after dipping in glaze. Let glaze completely dry, about 30 minutes.