- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup corn kernals (thawed if frozen)
- About 2 quarts vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- powdered sugar (optional)
- sliced scallions (optional)
Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl combine milk and eggs then pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Add melted butter and corn and mix well.
Add 2 inches of vegetable oil to a Dutch oven or wok and heat to 350°F. Drop corn fritter batter into hot oil one tablespoon at a time. Cook, agitating and turning frequently until golden brown and crisp on all sides and fritters are cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Remove fritters to a large plate lined with paper towels and season with salt. Serve immediately, garnished with powdered sugar or sliced scallions.