Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 4 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1 whole chicken, back removed, cut into 8 pieces (about 4 pounds), or 4 whole chicken legs, cut into thighs and drumsticks
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine potatoes, onion, tomato, chicken pieces, bay leaves, and a large pinch of salt in a pressure cooker. Toss with hands to combine. Seal lid and cook under high pressure for 25 minutes. Release pressure, remove lid, season to taste, and serve.