This recipe appears in:Wake and Bake: Blueberry Breakfast Financiers
Studded with blueberries, these petite french almond cakes are a nice alternative to mini-muffins.
note: Though it won't make a traditional financier, if you don't have a financier mold or mini-muffin tin, you can divide batter among 12 regular muffin tins. Increase baking time to 18-20 minutes.
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries
Adjust oven racks to middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Grease financier or mini muffin tins with 1 to 2 teaspoons butter. Place sliced almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl.
Whisk together almonds, flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Whisk in egg whites. Whisk in vanilla. Pour in cooled melted butter and stir until combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Fill each mold with batter and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the molds, then release.