These tender, vanilla-scented muffins are full of strawberry and rhubarb, making them perfect for spring.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes about 30 standard sized muffins
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- For The Muffins
- 2 cups diced rhubab (from about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- For Topping
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup (5 ounces) flour
Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 375°F. Butter muffin tins or line with paper holders. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and sugar. Let stand 20 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla until combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined (lumps will remain.) Use a plastic spatula or wooden spoon to gently fold in rhubarb, sugar, and strawberries until combined.
For the topping: In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, and flour. Rub butter into flour until crumbs form.
Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter. Top with streusel. Bake muffins until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tin for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batches of muffins. Store muffins in a sealed container at room temperature for up to three days.