Be sure to buy a ripe, fragrant pineapple for these margaritas. If you cut it open and discover that it's not super-sweet, microwave your pineapple chunks on a plate for 12 seconds (no more!) to bring out the juicy, sweet flavors. Let cool before adding to blender.
Note:We like the light caramel flavors of reposado tequila in these margaritas, but you can substitute blanco tequila if it's all you have on hand. To make simple syrup, combine equal volumes of sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Yield:makes 3 margaritas
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (about 1/2 pound, from 1 small pineapple)
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) fresh juice from about 2 lemons
- 2 1/4 ounces (4 1/2 tablespoons) fresh juice from 3 to 4 limes
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) simple syrup (see note above)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 ounces (9 tablespoons) reposado tequila
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) Cointreau or triple sec
- 3 ice cubes
Add pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, simple syrup, salt, tequila, and triple sec to a blender with 3 ice cubes. Blend until completely smooth and frothy. Pour into a pitcher if desired and refrigerate up to 3 hours. Serve over ice.