This recipe appears in:Wake and Bake: Dutch Baby
This classic American treat is somewhere between a pancake and a popover. Serve it warm, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice.
Note: It is important to let your eggs and milk come to room temperature before using.
- 3 large eggs, left at room temperature for 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (about 3 3/4 ounces) flour
- 2/3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish, optional
Place skillet in oven on middle rack and preheat to 400°F. In the bowl of a food processor combine eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract. Pulse until combined. Add flour and pulse to combine. With motor running, add milk, and process for 30 seconds.
Take hot skillet out of oven and add butter, swirling to coat pan until butter is melted. Pour batter into pan. Bake until dough is puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately, with extra sugar sprinkled on top, and a squeeze of lemon, if desired.