This Southern classic is similar to pumpkin pie. Buttermilk adds a slight tang.
- Yield:makes 1 pie, serving 8
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1/2 recipe Easy Pie Dough
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (making about 2 cups puree)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch pie dish with pie dough.
Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork, transfer to a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high until a wooden skewer or thin knife inserted into the center meets no resistance, about 11 minutes. Let cool then peel and mash contents with a fork until smooth. Alternatively, process in a food processor until smooth.
In a large bowl, mix together butter, eggs, heavy cream, and buttermilk. Mix in sweet potato purée. Mix in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until combined. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake until center of pie reaches 180°F as measured on an instant read thermometer and pie is set, about 40 minutes.