- 3 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, cooked then diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked fish (such as cod or haddock, skin and bones removed if necessary), flaked into large pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium high heat. When foam subsides add onion and carrots and cook until softened and beginning to brown—about 5 minutes. Add potato and cook until potato begins to brown, about 8 minutes. When potatoes have browned, add fish and gently fold into hash. Cook until fish is heated through, add chopped parsley and turn heat to low.
In a non-stick skillet melt remaining butter and fry eggs sunny-side up (or over easy if you must). Divide hash between 4 plates with an egg and serve hot with plenty of coffee.