Remember that retro salad of fruit, marshmallows, and coconut? This is inspired by that creation, but much more grown up.
Note: If you can't find unsweetened coconut, reduce amount of coconut to 1 1/2 tablespoons, making sure to break apart any clumps
Adapted from The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook by Matt Lee and Ted Lee.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- For the Salad
- 1 navel orange, segments removed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 grapefruit, segments removed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 English cucumber, halved then cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 japapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish if desired
- For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons juice from 2 limes
- 1 clove garlic, mashed with a fork or the back of a knife on a cutting board until smooth
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (see note above)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Make the salad: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for salad.
Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, and lime juice until combined. Add garlic, coconut, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined. Pour over salad and toss to coat.