Note: Make sure the dough has been formed into balls and have sat on the counter under a damp cloth for a couple hours before beginning assembly. White sauce and broccoli rabe can be prepared up to a few hours in advance and allowed to rest at room temperature. Once you begin to assemble the pizza on the peel, work fast or the pizza will stick to the peel.
- Yield:makes 4 pies
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes (after dough is made)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 1 head (About 1 pound) broccoli rabe
- 1 recipe No Knead Pizza Dough (see note above)
- 4 medium cloves garlic, grated on medium holes of a box grater
- 1 (1-inch) knob ginger, grated on medium holes of a box grater
- 4 small green Thai chilis, finely minced
- 4 ounces grated sharp provolone cheese
- 1 pound buffalo mozzarella
Place a pizza stone on a rack about 8-inches from the broiler element and preheat oven to 550°F. Heat butter and flour in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until melted and flour is pale golden blond. Slowly whisk in milk. Whisk in nutmeg and season to taste with salt. Bring to a boil whisking constantly, then set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of cold water until chilled. Drain carefully and roughly chop into 3 to 4-inch segments.
Once stone is preheated, turn broiler on to high. Stretch one ball of pizza dough into a disk about 12-inches in diameter and slide onto lightly floured peel. Spread 1/4 of white sauce onto pie, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Sprinkle 1/4 of garlic, ginger, thai chilis, provolone, mozzarella, and broccoli rabe on top of pie. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Transfer to preheated baking stone and bake until top is charred and bubbly, about 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board. Serve immediately, then repeat with remaining pies.