- Yield:Makes 3 pounds
- Active time: 1 hour
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 large fresh poblano peppers
- 2 1/2 lbs pork shoulder, cubed
- 1/2 lb pork fatback, cubed
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon minced cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, chilled
- Natural hog casings, soaked in lukewarm water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
Roast poblanos over an open flame on a gas stove or grill until skins are completely charred. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 30 minutes. Remove charred outer skins, cut in half, and remove the seeds and cores; finely chop poblanos.
Place pork and fat in a large bowl. Add in poblanos, cilantro, serrano chiles, salt, garlic, oregano, cumin, and black pepper. Toss to coat meat with seasonings. Place in refrigerator until ready to grind.
Grind the mixture through the small die of a meat grinder into a bowl set in ice.
Using paddle attachment of a standing mixer, mix on low speed for 1 minute. Pour in vinegar, increase speed to medium, and mix until liquid is incorporated and sausage has a uniform consistancy, about 1 minute more. Chill until ready to stuff.
Form a small patty of sausage and sauté in a skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Stuff sausage into hog casings and twist into 6-inch links. Refrigerate until ready to cook, or freeze for future use.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover gill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill links over medium-high direct heat until sausage registers 160 degrees when an instant read thermometer is inserted in middle of link. Remove from grill, let rest for 5 minutes, and serve.