This recipe appears in:The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook's Gambas au Beurre d'Escargot
For The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook authors Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin have included a Lutèce classic, Gambas au Beurre d'Escargot, jumbo prawns gratinéed with a green garlicky butter spiked with licoricey Pernod. One might think that there are snails trying to sneak into this recipe, but it's just big sweet prawns cooked in the same butter that escargot are traditionally sizzled in.
Reprinted with permission from The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin. Copyright © 2012. Published by Smart Pop Books. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.
- For the Beurre d’ Escargot:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Pernod (preferred), Ricard, or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the shrimp:
- 24 freshwater large or jumbo shell-on shrimp, rinsed in cold water
Make the Beurre d’Escargot: In a bowl, mix together all ingredients until thoroughly blended. You may use a food processor, but do not overmix or it will lose its texture.
Preheat the oven to 450°F. With a sharp knife or shears, butterfly (split) the shrimp and remove the vein, but leave shrimp in the shells.
Place shrimp shell down in a gratin dish. Cover them with the Beurre d’Escargot. Put the dish in the preheated oven until shrimp are cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.