This dessert is a chocoholic's dream: chocolate filling, chocolate shell, and a topping of chocolate ice cream.
- Both the dough and the filling can be made in advance and kept chilled for up to 3 days. Let filling soften at room temperature before using.
- Use a lightly greased 1/4-cup measure to help press dough into bottom of pan.
- Tart can be chilled for a firmer texture.
- Yield:serves 12
- Active time: 1 1/2 hours
- Total time:3 hours
- For The Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pices
- 1 large egg yolk
- For The Filling:
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints chocolate ice cream to serve on side (optional)
In bowl of food processor, pulse flour, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and salt until combined, about 3 one-second pulses. Add butter and pulse until mixture is consistency of wet sand, with no visible bits of butter remaining, about 10 to 15 quick pulses. Add yolk and pulse until dough just begins to come together. Wrap dough with plastic wrap into 5-inch disc and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Place chocolate, sugar, and espresso powder in medium bowl. In small saucepan, heat milk and cream until simmering. Pour over chocolate and let sit 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla; set aside.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper, plastic wrap, or on lightly floured surface to 13-inch circle. Gently roll up dough with rolling pin and roll out over tart pan. Press dough into bottom and sides of tart pan. Chill in freezer for 15 minutes. Gently line inside of tart with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until crust is set, about 25 minutes. Carefully remove foil with pie weights and briefly cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
Pour filling into crust and bake until edges are set and middle is slightly jiggly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack at least 45 minutes before serving.