Adapted from Bon Appétit.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- one 1-pound block medium tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
Adjust oven rack to bottom third position. Preheat oven to 450°F. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup cilantro, lime juice, garlic, 3 teaspoons ground cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well. Pour half of this mixture into a large plastic bag. Add the tofu, and carefully toss. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Pour the other half of the marinade into a blender, along with 1/4 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and the honey. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the red onion and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Transfer the pepper and onion mixture to one half of the baking sheet.
Drain the tofu and season both sides with salt and pepper. Place pieces on the empty half of the baking sheet.
Transfer baking sheet to the oven. Cook until vegetables are tender, and the tofu is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Make sure to stir the vegetables and carefully flip the tofu halfway through.
Divide the mixture between four plates. Drizzle with the sauce and garnish with cilantro. Serve with white rice or corn tortillas.