- 4 small pitas
- 4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, finely chopped
- 24 26/30 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 packed cups arugula, finely chopped
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 300°F. Brush pitas on both sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange pitas on baking sheet and place in oven.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke. Add chorizo and sautée until beginning to crisp and render, 2 to 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl. Reserve rendered fat, leaving 1 tablespoon in skillet.
Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Add shrimp, garlic, and lemon zest to skillet and cook, tossing, until golden and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with chorizo.
Add 2 tablespoons reserved chorizo fat to skillet; if there is not enough fat, make up amount with olive oil. Add chickpeas and cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth and cook over medium heat, mashing chickpeas with cooking spoon, until most of the broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice and arugula.
Transfer pitas to cutting board and trim off about 1/3—gently open pocket.
Divide chickpea mixture among pitas. Divide shrimp-chorizo mixture among pitas. Serve.