This recipe appears in:Sandwiched: Broccoli Rabe, Pear, and Fontina
Note: Exclude the anchovies to make this a vegetarian sandwich.
- 2 (12-ounce) bunches broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, chopped (See Notes)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 Bosc pear, stemmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 (6-inch) pieces Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
Bring 3 quarts water to boil in large pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and let rest until cool enough to handle, 3 to 5 minutes. Coarsely chop broccoli rabe.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli rabe, anchovies, garlic, lemon zest, and Aleppo pepper and sautée 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat panini press according to manufacturer’s instructions, or heat large skillet over medium-high heat.
Arrange bottom portions of each bread piece on cutting board and layer as follows: 1 ounce cheese, 1/4 of pear slices, 1/4 of broccoli rabe, and additionally 1 ounce cheese. Top each piece with remaining bread.
Brush both sides of each sandwich with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and cook on panini press or skillet (press down with spatula and turn over halfway through cooking if using skillet) until golden and cheese is melted. Serve.