This time of year the vegetable bin can be a little sparse, but it seems there are always carrots. In this salad they're coarsely grated in a food processor and tossed with fresh mint, currants and a lightly sweetened lemon vinaigrette. It's a bright, refreshing salad, delicious on its own with a warm buttered baguette or as a side to simple roast chicken.
Let it sit a few hours before serving if possible so the carrots have a chance to marinate in the dressing.
About the author: Jennifer Segal is the chef behind the popular food blog, Once Upon a Chef.
- 1 pound grated carrots, or 1-1/3 pounds carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, honey and fresh lemon. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.