- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces Spanish chorizo, finely chopped
- 3 poblano peppers, finely chopped (See Notes)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pound ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 Portuguese rolls, split in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in large skillet until just beginning to smoke. Add chorizo, poblanos, and onion and cook, stirring, until fat renders and chorizo crisps slightly, about 5 minutes.
Add smoked paprika, garlic, and lemon zest and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to bowl.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to now empty skillet and heat until just beginning to smoke. Add ground pork, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring and breaking up pork occasionally, until no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
Increase heat to high and add chorizo mixture and lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until thoroughly combined and slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Transfer mixture to bowl and tent with foil to keep warm.
Spread split sides of rolls with mayonnaise. One split roll at a time, cook in now empty skillet until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls.
Divide filling evenly between rolls and sprinkle with cheese. Serve.