This dish of shrimp and peas is flavored with ginger, garlic, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup peas (can be frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a food processor, combine garlic, ginger, and three tablespoons of water. Process until becomes a paste.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp and sautée until just turned pink, about 2 minutes depending on size.
Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add ginger garlic paste and turmeric to sauté pan. Sautée, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, cilantro, green pepper, peas, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and 3 tablespoons of water. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Season sauce with salt and pepper. Add shrimp back to pot and simmer until cooked through, about another 2 minutes. Correct seasoning if necessary.
Serve over basmati rice.