Serious Eats: Recipes
Chocolate Birthday Layer Cake
The frosting recipe is adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
- Use a good quality chocolate for the best results.
- 8-inch cake pans may be used. Baking time may be longer.
- Make sure to use natural cocoa. Do not use Dutch processed or the leavening of the cake may be affected.
- Do not over-soften butter or the frosting will be too loose. It should yield lightly to the touch (about 60°F).
- If the chocolate is too warm, the frosting may be too loose. Just chill the finished frosting briefly until it thickens enough to spread.
- This cake keeps at room temperature, covered, for 2 days. It can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.