This recipe appears in:Serious Entertaining: Cheap and Easy Do-Ahead Lunch
Creamy gigante beans are tossed with a bright Meyer lemon vinaigrette and served over crunchy, toasted pain au levain.
Adapted from Food and Wine.
- 1 15 ounce can gigante or butter beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 1-inch slices pain au levain or other rustic bread, toasted
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in onions and blanch for 1 minute, then drain.
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, and olive oil.
Add onions and beans to dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Let beans stand for at least 30 minutes while flavors develop. If making the night before, keep beans in refrigerator and bring back to room temperature before serving.
Just before serving, toast slices of bread. Toss beans with parsley.
Top each slice of bread with beans, making sure to drizzle any extra olive oil from the bottom of the bowl over the sandwich.