- Yield:makes about 2 dozen cookies
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 packed teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat until well combined.
Add flour and beat until dough begins to form. Add buttermilk. Beat in zest and salt until dough comes together. Divide dough into two parts. Roll each part into a log that is 1.5 inches wide. Wrap each log in plastic wrap. Let dough chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Take dough out of refrigerator and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Arrange cookies on baking sheets and bake until dry and turning golden, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners sugar and lemon juice.
When cookies are cool enough to handle, dip the top of each cookie in the glaze. Let dry for 10 minutes.