This recipe appears in:Dinner Tonight: Roasted Beet Salad with Olives and Oranges
Adapted from Plenty.
- 3-4 medium beets, peeled and cut into wedges 1-inch thick at the base
- 2 large oranges
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup oil-cured olives, pitted and halved
- 6 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
Preheat an oven to 400°F. Arrange the beets on a small baking sheet, cover with foil, and roast until almost tender 25-30 minutes. Uncover and continue roasting until caramelized and soft (but not mushy).
In the meantime, trip the tops and bases off the oranges and cut along the outside of each, turning as you go, to remove the entire peel and pith. Next, remove the segments from the oranges by holding the orange over a bowl and slicing between the membranes. Transfer the segments and juice to a bowl and discard the membrane.
In a small bowl, combine the citrus juice, red wine vinegar, and orange flower water. Whisk to combine, then whisk in the grape seed oil slowly to create the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a serving bowl, combine the roasted beets, onion, spinach, and dressing. Toss to combine, then divide among plates. Serve topped with the olives, orange supremes, and goat cheese.