This recipe appears in:Sandwiched: Chive Biscuit, Cheddar Spread, Canadian Bacon, and Fried Egg
- I usually make 12 2 1/2-inch biscuits with this recipe, but since these are breakfast sandwiches, I like to go a bit bigger with them. You may have a few leftover, but I'm sure there will be no complaints.
- Recipe is easily halved.
- My preferred Canadian bacon is Applegate brand.
- For the Chive Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting counter
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup finely minced chives
- 2 cups buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt, chilled
- For the Cheddar Spread
- 1 1/2 (about 6 ounces) cups finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (or more to taste) hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- For the Bacon and Eggs
- 12 slices Canadian bacon (See Notes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Chive Biscuits: Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Sift flour, cake flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, baking soda, and pepper twice.
Add chilled butter to bowl, and, using two knives, cut into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chives.
Add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and stir with wooden spoon just till combined. If mixture looks dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is cohesive.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead just until it comes together, no more than 6 times. Pat dough into a 1-inch thick circle. Use floured biscuit cutter to stamp out the biscuits—don’t twist—and arrange them about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer tray to cooling rack.
For the Cheddar Spread: Meanwhile, in medium bowl, use fork to combine cheddar, cream cheese, mayonnaise, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Bacon and Eggs: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, then transfer to plate and tent with foil.
Add remaining tablespoon butter to skillet. Crack eggs into skillet and season with salt and pepper.
When egg whites begin to bubble and turn opaque, add water and cover pan with lid.
Cook eggs 3 to 4 minutes until egg whites are set and egg yolk has a shell-pink color. Continue cooking eggs if you prefer a set yolk.
Using a spatula, divide the six eggs and remove from heat.
To assemble:Cut biscuits in half and spread both halves with cheddar spread. Top bottom halves with 2 slices Canadian bacon, then top with one egg and sandwich with second biscuit half. Serve.