With the unique and original ingredient of tamarind bitters and artisanal spirits like Gran Classico, this Negroni-esque cocktail outdoes its inspiration.
- For Tamarind Bitters
- 1 1/2 pounds grilled or roasted tamarind, shelled
- 1 1/2 ounces Saigon cinnamon
- 1/2 ounce grains of paradise
- 1/2 ounce sarsaparilla
- 750 mL high-proof rye
- For Cocktail
- 4-inch strip of orange peel, studded with cloves
- 2 ounces Herencia Anejo Tequila
- 1 ounce Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
- 1/4 ounce Gran Classico Bitters
- 1 dash tamarind bitters
To make bitters, combine all ingredients in wide-mouth mason jar and co-macerate for 10 days. Filter and seal.
To make cocktail, heat clove-studded orange peel on grill. Combine tequila, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Gran Classico, and tamarind bitters in a mixing glass with four large cubes and stir 40 times. Srain into coupe glass and garnish with clove-studded orange peel.