Spicy Ginger and French Lentil Soup
About This Recipe
|Yield:||serves 4 to 6|
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||1 to 1 1/2 hours|
|This recipe appears in:||Dinner Tonight: Spicy Ginger and French Lentil Soup|
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried green lentils
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 ham hock (optional)
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups slightly sweet white wine (Gewürztraminer or Riesling)
- kosher salt
- plain yogurt
Pour the broth into a large pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the lentils, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to maintain a slow simmer.
Meanwhile, add the butter and olive oil to a 10-inch skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, and chile powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, seven to ten minutes.
Add the onion mixture to a blender along with the carrot juice. Process until smooth. Add this sauce into the pot, along with the ham hock and wine. Cover the pot, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. If you want a little more mellow soup, continuing cooking for an additional 30 minutes or so. Season to taste with salt.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the crumbled bacon.