- Yield:makes about 20 cookies
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns, roughly ground in a mortar
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg. Whisk in butter. Add milk and vanilla and whisk until combined. Stir in flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Mix in hazelnuts and black pepper.
Divide dough in two and form into 3-inch wide logs. Bake until lightly golden, about 30 minutes.
Let dough cool slightly then cut into 3/4-inch wide slices, cutting on a bias. Place cookies, cut side down, onto baking sheets.
Bake cookies until toasted, about 20 minutes. Move to a wire rack and let cool.