This recipe appears in:Dinner Tonight: Braised Coconut Spinach with Chickpeas and Lemon
Adapted from The Kitchn.
- 2 teaspoons oil or ghee
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, from a 3-inch piece
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 dried hot red pepper or dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Toasted unsweetened coconut, to garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
In a large, heavy pot (such as a Dutch oven), heat the oil or ghee over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, grated ginger, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest, and red pepper, if using. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and increase the heat to high. Cook until the chickpeas are beginning to turn golden, 3-4 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
Add the spinach to the pot (you may have to add it in batches until there's enough room), then add the lemon juice, coconut milk, salt, and ground ginger. Bring to a simmer, and cook until the spinach is very soft and the chickpeas are tender, 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and lemon juice as needed.
Serve garnished with cilantro and toasted coconut with rice.