- For the Artichoke-Basil Spread
- one 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- For the Sandwiches
- 8 thick slices country bread
- 4 ounces fontina or provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch spinach, stems trimmed
- 4 ounces hard salami, thinly sliced
For the artichoke-basil spread: Add the artichoke hearts, basil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the sandwiches: Top each slice of bread with some of the artichoke-basil spread. On half of the slices, add a quarter of the cheese, spinach, and salami. Top each with a remaining slice of bread, spread side down. Serve.