- About 8 ounces of kidneys, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 broccoli florets, cut into thin slices
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or lard
- 7 to10 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarse chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- To garnish:
- Chopped parsley
- Wedges of lemon
To remove the interior fat from the kidneys and whatever sinews and tissues you see. Thinly slice on a bias, less than 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
Heat the garlic in two tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli and let them brown without moving them around too much, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the anchovies and stir around until the anchovies are broken up. Add the capers and let them brown too, for one to two minutes. Add the chili pepper flakes.
Adjust the heat to high and add the slices of kidneys and the remaining oil. Stir around to evenly distribute the kidneys. Let them brown, about 30 seconds, before stirring around anymore. Kidneys are done when one edge or side is browned and the rest is just cooked through. Serve immediately, garnishing with parsley and lemon.