- 2 pieces kombu, each about 4 inches square
- 8 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup red or white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 leek (white part only) or two shallots, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 4 handfuls baby spinach
Place the kombu and water in a medium pot and let sit for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. Remove kombu. Ladle out one cup of the broth into a bowl and stir in the miso paste and soy sauce until smooth.
Add the leek to the broth and simmer for five minutes. Then add the carrot, bell pepper, and shiitakes and simmer for three minutes more. Add the spinach and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in the miso mixture. Serve hot.