Grill-Roasted Herb-Crusted Standing Rib Roast
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 6 to 8|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||2 1/2 - 3 hours|
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped marjoram
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 3-4 bone standing rib roast, fat cap trimmed to 1/8-inch
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small chunk light smoking wood, such as apple or cherry
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: high
In a small bowl, combine sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and garlic. Set aside.
Season rib roast liberally all over with salt and pepper. Tie roast tightly between each bone with butcher twine. Let rest at room temperature for 2 hours.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover gill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Remove grilling grate and place disposable aluminum pan on empty side of charcoal grate and pour in beef broth and red wine. Place wood chunk on top of burning coals. Replace grilling grate and sear rib roast on all sides until well-browned over hot side of grill, about 3 minutes per side.
Move rib roast to cool side of grill, positioned directly over aluminum pan, bones pointing away from fire. Brush mustard on top side of rib roast. Coat mustard-slathered area with herb mixture, patting herbs down gently to fully adhere to mustard. Cover grill and cook until instant read thermometer registers 125 degrees when inserted into middle of roast for medium-rare, about 2 hours. Remove roast to cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes.
While roast is resting, pour liquid in aluminum pan into a fat separator, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then pour out jus. Separate ribs from roast, slice roast and serve with reserved jus.