- 14 ounces (2 1/2 cups) white rice flour
- 5.25 ounces (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 2.25 ounces (1/2 cup) potato starch
- 1.75 (1/3 cup) tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- For Finishing
- Jelly Doughnuts
- Powdered sugar, about one cup
- Jelly, about 1/2 cup (raspberry, strawberry, or sour cherry are especially nice)
- Cinnamon Sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Milk and Honey Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
In bowl of stand mixer, combine white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and ground nutmeg. In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
Fit mixer with paddle attachment. Mix dough until smooth, about 45 seconds. Cover dough with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
Heat oil to 375°F. Pinch off large, about two teaspoons, pieces of dough. Roll dough into a ball and slip into hot oil. Depending on the size of your fryer, you can fry a few at a time. Don't crowd the fryer or the oil temperature will drop, giving you greasy doughnuts. Fry until golden brown, about three minutes.
Using a metal slotted spoon, remove doughnuts from oil an place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
For Jelly Doughnuts Place powdered sugar into a small bowl. Roll doughnuts to coat. Fit a pastry bag with a bismarck tip and fill with jam. Insert tip about halfway into doughnut and squeeze a little jam into doughnut.
For Cinnamon-Sugar Doughnuts. Combine granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in small bowl. Roll doughnuts into mixture to coat. If desired, fill with jam.
For Milk and Honey Glaze In small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and honey. Stir until smooth. Dip doughnuts into glaze.