We tend to associate the word "smoothie" with sweet beverages, but savory smoothies like this one are among my favorites. One step beyond a Virgin Mary, this Mary is virtuous because it includes whole celery stalks and tomatoes. It also cuts down on the sodium with salt-free tomato juice. (Don't worry, it still tastes savory and salty.) Use unrefined sea salt like Himalayan pink or Celtic gray salt to bump up the virtuousness just a touch more, if you like.
About the author: Carolyn Cope is the voice behind the popular food blog Umami Girl. A recent transplant to London, she's trying her best to act nonchalant in the company of courgettes and aubergines. Find her on Facebook and Twitter.
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tender inner stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared or fresh grated horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
- 1 cup ice
Combine all ingredients in blender and puree until completely smooth. Divide between two glasses and serve immediately.