Recipe adapted with modifications from Jeanne Lemlin's Quick Vegetarian Pleasures.
Cumin-Scented French Lentil Salad
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Serious Salads: Cumin-Scented French Lentil Salad|
- 1 cup French lentilles du Puy
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onions (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one large lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality
- 1 teaspoon honey
Combine lentils, chicken stock and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until lentils are just tender, about 25 minutes (or about 20 minutes for common lentils). Strain and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Add cooled lentils and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to serve.