- To trim the rice paper or parchment paper to 8- by 8-inches, arrange 1 sheet on a cutting board. Set the baking pan on paper. With a sharp knife, slice the excess paper off. Repeat with second sheet.
- Edible rice paper is available at most specialty cake shops.
Turrón de Alicante (Nougat with Marcona Almonds)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 8 people|
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||2 hours|
|Special equipment:||8- by 8-inch baking pan, heavy-duty foil, edible rice paper or parchment paper, electric mixer, rubber spatula, wooden stirring spoon, candy thermometer, large heavy-bottomed saucepan|
|This recipe appears in:||Dulces: Turrón de Alicante (Nougat with Marcona Almonds)|
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 sheets of wafer paper, trimmed to 8- by 8-inches (See Notes)
- 3/4 cup Marcona almonds, very coarsely chopped
Line 8- by 8-inch baking pan with heavy-duty foil lengthwise with one sheet, then crosswise with a second sheet to create a sling. Lightly coat sides with spray.
Combine sugar, honey, and water in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir with wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely, 7 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and boil syrup until thermometer registers 250°F, 2 to 3 minutes minutes.
Meanwhile, whip egg white and salt on medium speed until it holds soft peaks, about 2 minutes.
With mixer running, add hot syrup to egg white in a slow, steady stream. Beat until mixture is thick and glossy and outside of bowl feels cool to the touch, about 10 minutes. Add lemon zest and beat just to combine.
Lightly coat rubber spatula with cooking spray. Stir in almonds.
Place one trimmed sheet of rice paper or parchment paper in prepared pan. Scrape turrón mixture into pan, spreading in an even layer with spatula. Top with second sheet of rice paper or parchment paper, and press down lightly with a flat-bottomed 1/2-cup measure to compress and flatten.
Let stand at room temperature until set, 1 to 2 hours. Transfer turrón to cutting board with sling. Remove and discard sling, then cut into 8 pieces and serve.