- Yield:Makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:40-45 minutes
- 2 lbs Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 lbs Fuji Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 4 strips lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- Kosher salt to taste
Place apples, lemon peel, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, brown sugar, and apple cider in a large dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
Remove from heat. Remove and discard lemon peel slices and cinnamon stick. Mash with potato masher to desired consistency. Season with salt to taste and serve or place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or the the freezer for up to a year.