Editor's note: Each Saturday afternoon we bring you a Sunday Supper recipe. Why on Saturday? So you have time to shop and prepare for tomorrow.
After spending the holiday cooking, a quick thrown-together meal like this simple tamale pie can be just the thing to ease you back into the impending work week. A box of cornbread mix and a can of Rotel tomatoes transform those last bits of turkey into a quick delicious dinner.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 2-3 cups cooked turkey
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 1 8.5-ounce package cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- extra shredded cheese to garnish
- sour cream to garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine turkey, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt and beans in a pan and bring to simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour turkey mixture into baking dish. In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix, shredded cheese, egg, milk, scallions and cilantro and mix until well combined. Smooth cornbread mixture onto turkey mixture and place in the oven until cornbread is browned, about 35 minutes. Serve with sour cream, extra cheese and cold beer.