This punch from The Drink has the fresh sweetness of apple juice with the rich depth of the finest cider. And rum, of course, which doesn't hurt things at all.
- For the allspice syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice berries or 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- For the honey syrup:
- 8 ounces warm water
- 8 ounces honey
- For the punch:
- 10 ounces Appleton Estate Rum
- 5 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces water
- 2 1/2 ounces boiled cider
- 2 1/2 ounces allspice simple syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces honey syrup
- 20 dashes Bar Keep Baked Apple bitters
If using whole allspice, grind in a spice or coffee grinder until powdery (about 20 seconds). In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and bring to a boil. Add allspice, and remove from heat. Let stand for 45 minutes. Strain.
Combine honey and warm water. Stir together thoroughly, or combine in a jar and shake until mixed.
For the punch, rum, lemon juice, water, boiled cider, allspice simple syrup, honey syrup, and apple bitters in a punch bowl. Serve over ice.