- 3 pounds mixed bone in chicken breasts and thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus 5 sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 parmesan cheese rind (about 1 by 3 inches)
- 1/2 cup small pasta, such as elbow macaroni
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and thyme. Bake until cooked through (when a knife pierces the thickest part of a thigh, the juices should run golden) about 30 minutes. Let cool.
Place stock, carrots, celery, leeks, and Parmesan rind in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Add 5 sprigs of thyme to broth and let cook 5 minutes more.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin. Rub meat with seasoned side of the skin. Cut meat from the bones and roughly chop chicken to 1/2 inch pieces.
Add chicken and pasta to soup. Raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.